Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Kiwiland

Today I am obsessing over New Zealand. I really want to live there, and for some reason, this urge has become stronger in the past week. I think it might be partly due to the fact that the anniversary of my trip there last year is coming up in a week or two. I also started looking at houses to see what we could afford, and I found a beautiful one in a village where my kiwi-friend lives. *sigh*

So, today I am searching the immigration website, assessing my and Darren's chances of getting accepted for residency. The chances are actually pretty good - they work on the points system, and we are at the prime age and education level for the points.

There are other steps, though, such as a full blood/xray workup and a letter from the FBI saying I'm not a criminal etc. Oh, and there is a small matter of getting a job. Luckily, the fields we work in are in need of applicants there. In the town where we want to live.

I have to remember, though, that once I'm there it is a long flight to ANYWHERE. Also? The NZ Dollar is lower than almost all currencies with the exception of Asia and perhaps Canada. Wait, no, just checked..the NZ$ is lower than even the CD$.

They don't have Target or big department stores or the gourmet kitchen store that is in the Columbia Mall. No peanut butter or Reeses cups. Umm..I think there are other negatives, but I can't remember them right now. I'm obsessed, what can I say? It's a beautiful country with a government I am more comfortable with that isn't controlled by the religious right. And? No smoking in restaurants etc in the WHOLE country. Also? No tipping. Ever. For anything. Best of all? Lots and lots of cuddly sheep.


d

3 comments:

Amy Sens said...

No peanut butter? That's crazy talk.

Although the smoke-free thing might be a nice offset.

Tara said...

a land without peanut butter? Does sound downright commie to me. Ah, but the mountain biking.....

KJ said...

I agree, that's just crazy talk. Of course New Zealand has peanut butter. See:

Sanitarium Peanut Butter

Spread it on a chocolate bar and voila! You've got homemade Reeses!