Monday, November 14, 2005

Skinny pregnant women are evil

Poor Darren had his work cut out for him this weekend after we attended a birthday party for a friend of mine. Now, I'm not a BIG girl...but neither am I a skinny girl. I am reasonably fit and curvy.

We were the first to arrive at the party on Saturday night - unusual for us to be right on time (esp to a party), but we knew that we didn't plan on attending the second half of the festivities out on the town. Also, it was the host's birthday, and she cooked! The least we could do is show up on time.

Her house was beautiful, and it was fun looking around and catching up with her before her other guests started coming in. The first was a painfully skinny girl with her fiance'. Like, one step away from needing hospitalization skinny. Still pretty, but I wondered how she supported the weight of her head.

I watched in horror as each woman who walked through the door was no larger than a size 4. I believe there were at least 5 or 6 other couples there. I felt larger and larger as they walked in. Nevermind I was sitting RIGHT next to the table with all the food. No way was I going to be the first to start eating! Thankfully, some of the men started dishing up their food, and Darren and I followed suit.

As I started to relax, we had a lot of fun meeting new couples - all in their 30s, which was nice - and talking about how we knew the birthday girl, our occupations etc. We even met a couple we'd like to hang out with again.

Then.

At the end of the dinner portion of the partying, everyone was getting set to go into town to the cigar bar. One very pretty woman seemed hesitant and then explained by saying that she was pregnant. Four and a half months pregnant. And she was STILL thinner than I am by a couple sizes!

*sigh*

Darren got that look on his face like "oh, shit. I won't see d naked for at least another month now. Damn skinny pregnant woman!" To his credit, he was very generous with compliments for the rest of the weekend and told again and again me just how attractive he finds me.

Back to the gym tonight!

4 comments:

Amy Sens said...

I don't think people usually show at 4 1/2 months, do they?

Tara said...

actually, there was just an article I read about skinny pregnant women yesterday. Seems the fashion-conscious are opting for earlier elective Caesarians so as not to gain those few extra pounds the last month. frightening, eh? article here

Amy Sens said...

Gross.

H said...

I wouldn't be so afraid of the extra pounds, I'm more afraid of the "pushing a huge watermelon-sized mass out of my crotch" pain that so frequently goes along with pregnancy. Call me crazy.