Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rant #1: Homophobia

Today, as I was driving into work, I was listening to my favorite morning show (Big Phat Morning Show on 92Q). Tuesdays are designated as "Tell the Truth Tuesday", and a variety of topics are up for discussion. Today the main topic was a local high school's Gay/Straight Alliance Group. Apparently this group, like any other group, was promoting itself within the school to increase membership and awareness. This was not the news, though. No, the news was the parents and students who were protesting the very existance of this group.

Ok.

So, what's the story? Why are some people so offended or freaked out about homosexuality? I listened as older listener called in to say that students who are 17 can't possibly know they are gay if they can't even figure out what their major will be in college. Wha?! Do you mean to tell me that this man didn't know he was heterosexual until college? Man, I knew WAY before then. To their credit, the DJs made fun of this man (they are open-minded and awesome). Another woman called in to say that when she learned of the Gay/Straight Alliance Group in her child's school, she moved her child to another school.

Why?

Do people think homosexuality is contagious? I'm still not understanding the basic disagreement. Is it that people fear what they don't understand? Do they think they will be forced to be gay one day? Surely they can't all be Christain fundamentalists. Even so, who are these people who use the bible to hate gays? Do you notice they always focus on gay sex? They are fascinated with gay sex, as if that is all homosexual couples do. For example, Rick Santorum - what a tool. He once likened homosexual sex with beastiality and child molestation . This guy is a real piece of work. He believes it's ok to be gay as long as you don't act on it. Luckily, the readers of gay sex advice columnist Dan Savage's column have found a use for Santorum's name. He will be forever linked with butt sex, straight or gay.

Ok, so let's say the issue is sex and the fact it is almost impossible (don't want to count out any anomalies) to procreate from gay sex. Does this mean that all us heteros should only have sex to procreate? I'm sure there are some people out there who believe that - but I don't think that accounts for all of the people who are angry that gay people exist.

I also heard the argument that God created man and woman to be together, not man and man or woman and woman. Hmmm..correct if I am wrong, but didn't God create everyone? In His/Her image? There isn't some random thing out there creating people, is there? And can anyone say for sure what it is that God wants?

I've rambled on for a while now, and still have not found an answer. I just don't understand the issue. I'd ask my homophobic readers to respond, but I don't think I have any. Actually, I don't think I have any readers at all.

*end rant*
d

3 comments:

Amy Sens said...

You have at least one. But I'm not really all that homophobic. Bible-believing, in my own way, but not so homophobic...

d said...

Thanks for reading. :)

H said...

I'm evil! I have an agenda! I'm an abomination!

Phew, being evil is tiring. I think I need a sandwich.