Saturday, January 28, 2006

Happy Birthday Darrel!




Although I'm fairly certain Darrel doesn't read this blog, I want to wish him a Happy Birthday. Darrel is my good friend in New Zealand whom I met when he lived in this area for a few years. We met randomly, but he made a great impact on my life. Not only was he one of the best guy friends I've ever had, but clearly he has influenced where I (and Darren) want to live.

Before I visited Wellington, I had no idea why Darrel wanted to leave here and go back home to a place so far away (so far from everything). He had seen me through some tough times (read: dating horrors), and I selfishly wanted him to stay. We IM'd quite a bit, and I actually saved one of the 'conversations' we had right before he left. I saved it as inspiration; Darrel was so sure that I would meet a great guy. Better than that, he was certain that I deserved someone who would be good to me - something I didn't always believe. My favorite line from that conversation is: "basically, everyone sucks except you and you deserve an equally awesome man". It was one of the nicest things a friend had ever said to me (don't know why it means more coming from a guy friend, but it did).

While Darrel moved shortly after that, I kept those words in my head. It took me a while, but I found my 'equally awesome man'. So, thanks, Darrel, for the confidence and support. And now that I've seen New Zealand - and Wellington - I get why you wanted to go back. And Happy Birthday, sweetie. You deserve all things that are good.


d

No comments: